Thursday 19 April 2012

Korean Rice Cakes with Ramen Noodles - Rabokki (라볶이)


Tteokbokki or Ddeokbokki(떡볶이) is a popular Korean braised dish which consists of sliced rice cake, meat, vegetables, eggs, etc and seasonings. This dish is commonly purchased from street vendors in Korea and there are many different kinds of tteokbokki such as seafood tteokbokki(해물 떡볶이) or rice tteokbokki(쌀떡볶이).

Whereas in this post, I would be sharing a Rabokki (라볶이) recipe with you. Rabokki derives from the combining words of "ddeokbokki" and "ramyeon" which means stir-fried rice cakes with instant ramen noodles. With this you can have two different favourite korean ingredients in one dish and enjoys the chewy texture of rice cakes plus springy ramyeon.


KOREAN RICE CAKES WITH RAMEN NOODLES
Rabokki (라볶이)


My version of Rabokki is a bit different from the authentic way of Korean cooking. Here instead of adding carrot into the braised dish, it is served separately with shredded cucumber where you can add into your Rabokki according to your preference. I remember the first time I had this dish is over at Maameemoomoo's house a few months back and indeed I love this dish to bit. But my version is slightly different from Sherie's as it has being simplify by using pre-mixed Topokki Hot Sauce.

(Serves: 2-3 |        Preparation: 10 minutes |        Cooking: 10 minutes)

Ingredients:
1 Packet(150g) of Topokki Hot Sauce
150g of Korean Rice Cakes (ddeok - 떡)
1/2 Portion of Napa Cabbage, cut into pieces
1 Piece of Fish Cake, cut into slices
1 Packet of Korean Instant Ramen, break into halve
2 Stalls Spring Onion, cut into sections
2 - 3 Hard-boiled Eggs, shell removed
1/2 medium carrot, thinly shred
1 Japanese Cucumber, thinly shred

Garnish:
Red/Green Chilli, thinly sliced
Roasted White Sesame Seeds
Chopped Spring Onion
Sesame Oil to taste


Method:-
1. Rinse rice cake in cold water. Drain and set aside.

2. In a medium pot or frying pan, add rice cakes together with 250ml of water and cook on medium heat till water comes to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.

3. Next add in cabbage, spring onion, fish cake and noodles, let the mixture simmer for 1 minute(on medium heat) before stirring in the "Topokki Hot Sauce".

4. On low heat simmer the mixture till the sauce has thickened slightly and both rice cakes and noodles are soften.

5. Remove mixture from heat, divide it into 2 or 3 serving plates. Top with some shredded carrot and cucumber together with hard-boiled eggs and served hot with some garnish on top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PREVIEW!!!


KOREAN SPICY CHICKEN
매운 닭 날개


For those who loves baked chicken wings, here is a preview of my next Korean dish which is known as "Korean Spicy Chicken(매운 닭 날개)". It has a similar cooking concept like the western "Buffalo Wings" whereby you can adjust the spiciness of the wings according to your preference.

9 comments:

  1. Your Korean Rice Cake looks wonderful. It's one of my favorite Korean dishes. I always wonder what they put in the sauce and didn't know they have packaged ones available. I'm going to look for one and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I am sure you can find a similar pre-packed Topokki Sauce at your area. If not you have to mix with some other seasoning with the Hot Pepper Paste :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting wonderful recipes, I have gotten a lot of GREAT recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Loveforfood :)

      Delete
  3. You surely knows how to make Korean dish so perfectly! I went to Korean restaurant in Japan mainly because I saw your previous Korean posts and I couldn't stop thinking about Korean food... I will be searching this or similar premade sauce. That way I can eat it quickly for lunch! =D And your chicken looks finger-licking good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami! I still have a lot to learn from you :) Hope soon i can cook yummy Japanese dishes like yours too.

      Delete
  4. I have tried one of these... tasty and delicious. I love your version where I can have more carrots and cucumber in it. Yumyum! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so appetizing ...I can't resist a bowl of hot and saucy noodles LOL :)
    Korean fried chicken is my favorite too :p ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fern! I didn't know Korean spicy chicken can be so tasty until I cooked this :)

      Delete

Dear All,

Thanks for leaving down your comments. I do value each and every of your suggestion(s) or comment(s) so if you are signing off as Anonymous, please kindly leave your Name so that I could address you. Thanks

Lastly, please DO NOT SPAM as Spam comments will be deleted immediately.

Regards
Ellena (Cuisine Paradise)

ShareThis