Friday 4 November 2011

Avocado Chicken Parmigiana

Pin It
Parmigiana (a short form of Parmigiana di melanzane) is a Southern Italian dish made with a shallow-fried sliced filling, layered with cheese, tomato sauce and baked before serving. But here we are making a quick version of this "Avocado Chicken Parmigiana" where tender chicken breast schnitzel is topped with bottled tomato pasta sauce and fresh avocado together with generous amount of grated Mozzarella cheese.



AVOCADO CHICKEN PARMIGIANA
(Quick and Easy version)


You can serve this Chicken Parmigiana together with some garden salad on the side with a bowl of soup and bread or alternatively serve it with a pasta dish. No matter which combination you choose, I am sure you and your guests will be impressed by this dish which is so easy to prepare and yet good in taste and presentation.

(serves: 4 | Preparation: 10 minutes | Cooking: 15 minutes)

Ingredients:
2 Chicken Breast Fillets, halved lengthways
1/2 Cup Plain Flour
2 Tablespoons Fresh Milk
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Dried Breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil/Cooking Spray
1/2 Cup Tomato Pasta Sauce
2 Avocado, Sliced
1/2 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
Salad Green, to serve


Method:-
1. Place chicken breast in a clear plastic bag (alternatively between 2 sheets plastic wrap), using a rolling pin or meat mallet pound until 0.5cm thick.

2. Place flour and breadcrumbs on two separate plate and lightly whisk milk and egg together in a shallow bowl.

3. Coat 1 piece of chicken breast in flour (shaking off excess), dip in egg mixture then coat in breadcrumbs using your fingertips pressing on to secure.

4. Place on prepared baking tray lay with foil or baking paper, repeat the same process with the remaining chicken breast with flour, egg and etc.

5. Lightly spray or brush the prepared chicken with oil, bake for 8 minutes (turning after 4 minutes to have evenly colours on the breadcrumbs) in preheated 200 degree Celsiu s(392°Fahrenheit) fan-forced oven.

6. Remove from oven and spread each chicken breast with 1 heaped tablespoon of pasta sauce. Arrange avocado slices over sauce and sprinkle with decent amount of mozzarella cheese.

7. Return to oven and bake for another 5 - 7 minutes or until golden and chicken is cooked through.

8. Serve it together with some garden salad or use cooked pasta.

Personally I love this dish because it is so easy to prepare and yet full of flavour. The tender and juicy chicken breast is infuse with the mixture of sweet and savory taste from the tomato sauce, melted cheese and buttery flavour of the avocado that makes it a great combinations. Furthermore the garden salad at the side also adds in extra crunch and flavour to balance the taste.

[Back-to-school Lunch] Chicken Parmigiana with avocado and cheese, mashed potato and salad
Lastly thanks for your interest in this dish, if you are keen do check out another related post with using similar ingredients on our "Back-to-school lunch ideas" article featuring Cheesy Garlic Bread, Chicken Quesadilla, Hot Dog Bun and etc.

45 comments:

  1. i still have 2 avocadoes in the fridge. not knowing what to do.
    thanks for this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah. I LOVE the idea of adding avocado to chicken Parmesan! I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish contains 2 of my favorite ingredients, chicken and avocados.  Will have to make this up over the weekend.  Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, do try it out. This is a pretty quick and easy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pennie,
    Thanks. Hope you would like this dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good....and I was wondering what to do with the avocadoes I bought yesterday! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm adding avocado is a great idea - I want to try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I been visiting
    your blog since a few months ago. Nice food you have been having. I have a
    food blog too. Come visit! ;) food solutions
     

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm this looks so delicious! If you love chicken, please check out my recipe for skillet bacon jam chicken.



    http://bit.ly/baconchicken




    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made this for dinner tonight and it was AMAZING.  Instead of the salad I made some lemon garlic spaghetti to go with it =)  Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you share your lemon garlic spaghetti recipe?

      Delete
  11. Mindy_wwjd_39/12/11 4:09 pm

    thanks look like a good combo :) ...How do you make your lemon garlic spaghetti?

    ReplyDelete
  12. kirsty blue26/1/12 4:35 am

    this looks awesome :) making this for my boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharonlbrown2/2/12 10:23 am

    I do not have a fan forced oven. What temp for a regular oven?

    ReplyDelete
  14.  Hi Sharon, you can bake at still bake at 200 degree but perhaps a longer time till it cooked thru.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just cooked it for my Valentine's Day dinner with my husband. I am the type of "cook" who even burns boiling water. This recipe is super easy! and delicious! My husband loved it! Thanks for sharing! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wowow! Glad that you and your husband love it. This is indeed a super easy recipe and yet yummy for the family.

      Delete
  16. Should I cook at about 425 F for the same amount of time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 425F is around 218°C which is a bit high for this recipe. If you are going to try perhaps cover the top with foil after 5 mins to prevent top from burning and meat under cook :) HTH

      Delete
  17. Sounds and looks delicious - I am giving it a try for sure...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe was absolutely fantastic! It was so tender and delicious I cannot wait to make it again! I so glad I found your blog. Can't wait to give your other recipes a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie,

      Thanks for your kind comment. Hope to hear your feedback on other recipes again :)

      Delete
  19. Just made this for dinner and it was great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, glad that you love this quick and easy dish :)

      Delete
  20. I'm an idiot! Totally making this right now, and thought it said Farenheit! Ugh... hahaha! Well, glad I saw it before I was completely done. Should still turn out. Looks great! ;) Thanks to pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jolee, Glad that you made this dish and hope you like it :) Cheers!

      Delete
    2. I did the same thing! Dang it! I've never ever encountered a recipe online that listed the temperature in Celcius. You should list both on your recipes to prevent this mistake! I hope it still turns out. . .

      Delete
    3. Gosh. So sorry about it danab. I will try to amend the recipe with both Fahrenheit and Celsius. :)

      Delete
  21. I am excited to try this for dinner tonight. I don't have a fan-forced oven; therefore, going to bake on 200 'C/392 'F for a bit longer. How much longer would you suggest? I will of course check to be sure the chicken is done. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JW,

      Thanks for your note. Hope your Avocado Parmigiana turns out well :)

      Delete
  22. switched mine up a bit and put a low carb/tex mex spin on it. crushed spicey pork rinds for the "breading" in place of flour and bread crumbs, used salsa in place of the pasta sauce, layered the avacado, and then topped with pepperjack cheese. it turned out so good! thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great but sad to say I don't have cooking facility where I live... :( anyone have a dinner party and I will bring the red wine???? Andrew...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tis is such a great idea, avocados with melted cheese on chicken parma! I am hungry d, even though we just had dinner. Thanks for sharing this recipe Ellena. You just gave me an idea on how to get my son to eat avocado heehee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Hope your son would love it :)

      Delete
  25. I made this tonight and cooked it at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. It cooked perfectly and was absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for this great recipe. I found that it took longer for me to cook the chicken then just ten minutes (could be just a difference in ovens!). Also I found that it was harder for the cheese to melt on the avocado because it was room temperature. I put the dish in the microwave with the cheese on top and nuked it for 25-30 seconds. I also added some salt, pepper, and basil into the breadcrumbs to add some extra flavor. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! thanks for the idea on mixing salt, pepper and basil with the breadcrumbs! Will give it a try soon :)

      Delete
  27. I made this tonight for dinner and loved it. I used seasoned breadcrumbs because that's what I had. I didn't have any tomato sauce open, so I sliced a tomato very thin and used that instead and it added a nice fresh taste. I broiled the top when it was almost finished cooking to get the cheese all toasty. Delicious!
    Bonnie B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, thanks for sharing with us your method for preparing this dish. It's great that we learn to use fresh ingredients such as tomato to replace pasta sauce. Thanks :)

      Delete
  28. Replies
    1. I was wondering if it was a convection oven?

      Delete
  29. I want to try this! Does anyone know what the calories in it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun twist on chicken parm - I definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is going on the list of suppers for this week. Love, love, love dishes like this! Comfort foods

    ReplyDelete

Dear All,

Thanks for leaving down your comments. I do value each and every of your suggestion(s) or comment(s) so if you are signing off as Anonymous, please kindly leave your Name so that I could address you. Thanks

Lastly, please DO NOT SPAM as Spam comments will be deleted immediately.

Regards
Ellena (Cuisine Paradise)

ShareThis